Today, very few people can turn a blind eye to the state of the earth, of our environment, and say they don’t care. The effects of global warming can be felt by people even in the coldest of climates. It is not something that is merely discussed on television anymore, but something that is experienced by all. While not everyone can take time off from their work, family, and other commitments to devote their lives exclusively to saving the environment, the fact is that there is a lot that the average householder can do even without stepping out of their homes! In fact, not just homes, even people in offices too can do a great deal in saving the environment-and all through a very simple thing-saving on electricity bills!
How saving on electricity can help save the environment:
Since the majority of electricity in the world today is still generated from natural gas, oil, coals, which are found in the earth, requiring a great deal of drilling or mining to be made available to the energy sector, saving on electricity goes a great deal in reducing the impact of our energy consumption on the earth. These processes require not just exhaustive mining and drilling works, which are by itself damaging to the earth, they also require a great deal of transportation, which requires the burning of gasoline, which in turn contributes to the generation of gases such as methane and carbon dioxide, which increase global warming by trapping heat inside the earth. If every single person did their best to save on electricity, the amount of electricity consumed would drastically reduce, which in turn would lead to lesser reliance on fossil fuels for generation of electricity. This by itself would help in reducing global warming considerably.
Advantages of saving electricity:
Apart from the benefits to the environment, there are also other benefits to saving electricity. The first one that directly benefits everyone is the savings in energy or utility bills. The amount of money you can save by saving electricity every month can even go into a saving fund for your children or used for other things that bring you much joy.
When you save electricity, such as by switching off your television for an hour a day, you also get other benefits such as increased bonding and communication with your family members or more time to socialize with your friends. You will also find that you have more time to spend on your hobbies which you may have neglected for years. You could also find yourself taking the time to go outdoors and enjoy the beauty of nature or even just go for a walk or hit the gym instead, all of which have direct benefits on your physical and mental health.
Tips to save electricity:
There are a lot of ways in which you can save electricity. The most important one would be to ensure that the electrical systems and wiring in your home is in order. This can be done by enlisting the services of electricians. This by itself will ensure that you utilize electricity much more efficiently. Here are a few more ways in which you can reduce your energy bills substantially:
- Switch off all appliances when not in use at the wall plug itself as not doing so can still result in electricity being drawn into them (examples are your TV set, WiFi router, cell phone charger, laptops, etc.).
- Energy efficient lighting, such as CFLs, use up to 75% less energy than others. Even more energy efficient and long lasting than CFLs are LED bulbs, which more than make up for their cost by saving you money in your electricity bills.
- Insulate your roof or ceiling to ensure that your home is warmer in winter and cooler in summer. This way, you don’t have to use your air conditioner or heater that much.
- Install solar water heaters which not only save on money but also get you tax rebates.
- Insulate your geyser and water pipes using a geyser blanket, can be installed by electrical contractors.
- Install a showerhead that saves on water while also giving you the best shower!
- Those with swimming pools can consider reducing the operating hours of the cleaning system to 6 hours a day, using a pool cover when it is not in use, and cleaning of the filters on a regular basis.
Saving on electricity is a win-win situation for both the homeowner as well as the environment. You see the benefits in your electricity bills while knowing that you are doing your bit for the environment too!